Tuesday, November 4, 2014

It just takes practice...

Today I saw my first article for my school's newspaper on its website, and I couldn't have been more pleased.

I've always liked writing, but had very little experience with AP style and journalistic writing in general, as my high school's newspaper class wasn't very structured and any English classes I had were based in creative or academic writing. Retraining myself to write objectively (I can be pretty opinionated on certain things) and not put the question back into my answers as I was taught when learning how to write research papers has been a challenge, but I'm getting better at it each time I write, and at the end of the day that's all I could ask for.

I still have 6 more articles to write before I end up on the newspaper's payroll, but as far as I'm concerned that's alright as long as I'm getting some much-needed practice and building up a portfolio of work samples to show off when I apply for internships and (once I'm finished with my university career) jobs.

I'm not a perfect writer, and frankly, nobody is. But as long as I keep aiming to be better than I was the day before, I'd like to think I'm on the right track.

No comments:

Post a Comment